Stress is real y’all, and truth be told you can be stressed out at any age. Having too much to do at school, problems at school, problems at home, worrying about college and your future, drama, huge life changes, and more are enough to keep you awake at night or just feeling overwhelmed.
A lot of times, we are stressed out and we don’t even know it. How can you tell if you’re stressed out? Well, there are so many different ways but here are a few signs:
- Having trouble focusing and concentrating in school
- Can’t stop worrying
- Can’t sleep
- Eating too much or skipping meals
- Having a bad attitude or becoming angry very easily
- Being fearful (anxiety and panic attacks)
- Having constant pains you or your doctor can’t explain like stomachaches and headaches
There are healthy ways to deal with stress, and there are also unhealthy ways. Let me give you an example. If you’re a teen, you know what vaping is because a lot of people at your school are doing it. Maybe you do it too. Even though it’s illegal to vape at your age, that hasn’t stopped it from creeping into your school.
True, some people do it because it looks cool, they see others doing it on Instagram and Snap Chat and they want to fit in, or they’re just curious – but did you know that many teens who vape do it because they’re stressed? They use it as a way to cope with feeling overwhelmed, which leads to them being addicted to it. Vaping is an unhealthy way to deal with stress. It’s illegal and addictive, plus, although it’s not as bad as smoking cigarettes, the full effects of vaping aren’t even fully known yet.
There are lots of other unhealthy ways to handle stress too, like:
- becoming promiscuous
- overeating or under-eating
- doing dangerous things.
Stress is a part of life, but how you handle it makes a big difference. It doesn’t just go away if you ignore it. What do you reach for when you’re stressed?
Instead of doing things that are dangerous or unhealthy, here are a few healthy ways to deal with stress.
- Talk to someone. Sometimes just talking it out can help so much! When talking to others, you can find answers to your questions, and ideas on how to solve problems. Parents, teachers, pastors, coaches, counselors, and mentors are good places to start.
- Pray and trust God to help you on your journey
- Do something you enjoy. Always take time to do the things that make you smile. Have some fun!
- Take a walk. It’s a good way to clear your head.
- Step away from the phone. Nowadays it’s like we can’t sit still for 10 minutes without reaching for the phone to see who’s posting, liking your photos, or commenting on your posts. It’s stressful to feel like you have to stay on top of it all and see every little thing. Well, you don’t. Take a break!
- Breathe. Take a hot bubble bath. Get some popcorn and candy and watch all of your favorite movies. Lay down and take a nap. Naps aren’t just for babies, LOL
- Get some exercise. Working out makes you feel good. Unless you overdo it and can’t move the next morning.
- It’s a good way to get things off your chest. Especially those feelings that you want to keep to yourself.
- Stay positive and don’t worry. Believe that things will work out for the best.
There are so many healthy ways to handle stress, these are just a few. It’s important to practice having a healthy response to stress now that you’re young. As you get older, life will change, and sometimes be stressful too. So the next time you’re overwhelmed thinking about your exams, drama at school, or family issues – don’t run to something that’s dangerous and unhealthy. Choose a better way. In the end, you’ll be glad you did.